Its been months since I’ve had a massage, due to the fact I’ve been convalescing from surgery.  But now, as the wounds have healed and as my body transitions back to its regular movements, a yearning for that massage to release the stiffness within my body from holding itself came to fruition. 

The time had come, but still not completely comfortable with skillful hands rubbing, kneading and pulling at my muscle and skin or me laying in one position for the duration of an hour, I made a quick decision to call and book. Done, I booked in for a half hour massage at a Chinese massage shop.  My massage options two, one with clothes on or the other a little more expense involved clothes off and the use of oil.  I opted for the latter.  It was a no fuss affair; curtains created cubicles while us patrons lay and the masseuse delivered a sense of ease and release.

My body did feel the benefit, but I did walk out thinking of the longer more private and comforting massage within a day spa.  There are varying types and reasons why people embrace the down time of a massage.  I don’t regret the massage, but I do so look forward to the aromas of a day spa, the rituals that can be involved in a massage, whether its selecting your aroma or the pressure of technique, to the ambiance of the room with lighting and soft tunes or the comfort in the temperature as you lay naked or under a cloth. The soothing strokes of a relaxing massage can not only benefit the body, but the mind and the soul as well.   To lift yourself from off the table, get dressed and walk out to face the world and have that smile and feeling of bliss, is why I still love a day spa experience.

Some of the physical benefits of massage include:

  • reduced muscle tension
  • improved circulation
  • stimulation of the lymphatic system
  • reduction of stress hormones
  • increased joint mobility and flexibility
  • improved skin tone
  • speedier healing of soft tissue injuries
  • heightened mental alertness
  • reduced anxiety and depression

Thai Massage - The Barai
Hot Stone Massage - Mandara Spa
Swedish Massage - Huvafen Fushi
When and where was the last time you had a blissful massage experience?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you ever tried this?